Know someone who suffers with challenges from anxiety, sensory processing disorder (SPD), ADD/ADHD, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, restless leg syndrome, or any other condition that affects mood or sensory input. Occupational therapists and others (including our current customers) recommend weighted blankets to help alleviate many of these issues and increase mood, focus, and relaxation.
Please read through all information below so you know what you’re getting 🙂 Does NOT include fabric.
What is included in the kit?
Our DIY Weighted Blanket Kits consist of step-by-step instructions for creating a weighted blanket in one of the following sizes as well as the glass microbeads already measured and separated into plastic bags for each section of the blanket, so there’s no need for scales or special calculations. We’ll do all that work for you!
Teen/Adult: 40×70″ (8-20 lbs recommended)
Child: 40×50″ (5-16 lbs recommended)
Toddler: 30×40″ (3-8 lbs recommended)
*Blanket integrity and washability may be negatively affected by using weights higher than recommended for each blanket size.
We use glass microbeads for our weighted blankets because…
– they are 3 times denser than poly pellets so our blankets are 1/3 the thickness of our competition
– they are small enough that they are virtually indestructible by the user
– they are smooth and round so they are more “fluid” within the blanket, making it easier to maneuver, fold, and pack
– they are non-porous and washable
The instructions will take you through the steps from cutting raw fabric from your local store or online supplier to sewing the columns and rows to filling and finishing the blanket.
What tools and supplies are needed?
– Sewing machine
– Polyester thread that matches your fabric
– Quilting Pins
– Measuring tape (flexible or metal, but metal is recommended for making straight lines)
– Washable marker or chalk
– Fabric with a tight enough weave that the glass microbeads will not go through. We normally use regular cotton quilting fabric or flannel but there are other options. Just be sure to check the washing instructions.
– Single/Twin: 2 yards of front, 2 yards of backing
– Throw/Child: 1.75 yards of front, 1.75 yards of backing
– Small Throw/Toddler: 1 yard of front, 1 yard of backing
* Fabric is NOT included in this kit. This allows you to select whatever type of fabric you would like, including licensed character fabrics, which we are not legally able to sell.
When purchasing your weighted blanket kit, select the weight that you would like the finished blanket to be. In our calculations when preparing your order, we subtract 1lb 3oz as an average weight for the fabric that will be used for the blanket, so that your blanket will end up being closer to the weight that you request rather than another pound or so heavier than expected because of the fabric weight. If you decide to use something heavier than cotton/flannel such as minky or microfleece, you are welcome to let us know at checkout and we will reduce the weight by a bit more.
How do you wash a weighted blanket?
Weighted blankets/lap pads may be cleaned in your home washer and dryer (follow directions on the fabric you select) but we recommend using commercial machines such as in a laundromat for blankets heavier than 14 lbs. We recommend that you place weighted blanket in center of a full load of other clothes/towels/blankets to maintain balance. Not responsible for damage to blankets or washers/dryers.